Why Collaboration over Competition?
((The following is a guest post from Erica of Bring Your Own Kombucha:))
I am a firm believer in collaboration over competition. I just don’t find competition to be productive and I don’t like the mentality that follows it. I rather put out good vibes and collaborate. Are you with me? Here are some reasons why I think bloggers should shift their focus to collaborations.
1. Collaboration helps two businesses instead of one. When you team up with another business, you are providing your business more exposure. Likewise, you are also providing another business exposure to your audience. It’s a win-win.
2. There is no end game. There will always be someone new to compete with. It’s like a dog chasing his tail. WAIT, does that make sense? What I am trying to say is there is no finish line in the realm of competition, because there will always be someone else to rival.
3. You make friends. First I’m going to preface this by saying, making friends as an adult is way harder than in elementary school when you merely asked the girl in the pink sweater to play jump rope at recess. SO on that note, I love collaborating because I meet so many new people that I wouldn’t get to meet otherwise. For example, I did a #BOSSBABE series on my blog where I interviewed women entrepreneurs from all over the country. I met some really sweet girls like Katie who owns an art shop in Colorado and Val who owns her own online shop in Miami, Fl. I NEVER WOULD OF CONNECTED WITH THESE WOMEN OTHERWISE.
4. You get what you give. Whether you believe in Karma or not, I definitely believe in the you get what you give system. What you put out comes back to you. Therefore, I know that if I want to grow and I want others to give me a chance, then I need to do the same.
5. You learn & grow from collaborating. My world has changed from the collaborations I have partaken in throughout the last few months doing #bossbabe. I do not believe my blog would have grown like it did if I did not spend the first couple months working in partnership with others. It has been such a great journey and it is an ongoing journey. Working with others opens your eyes, inspires you, gives you diversity, helps you see things from another point of view, and changes you for the better.
6. Teamwork makes the dream work. Yep, I went there. Corny but true. Teaming up with another company, blog, entrepreneur is so much more beneficial than doing it on your own. There is accountability, you can pool together resources, and it is of course someone to push your to do your best. Think about it.
Do you feel my “collaboration” vibes? Let me know why YOU think collaboration is better than competition.